Friday, January 22, 2016

Neewer 32" Softbox. This is a tough one...

So, under 40 bucks. Folds up like a reflector. Made fairly well. Why am I having an issue recommending it?

Every time I fold the damn thing up, it hits me in my man part. Yeah, I said it.  It is a very strong springy wire in there. Much stronger than my reflectors. I don't know if it was engineered like that or it's just a complete coincidence. What ever it is. I don't like it. Yes, I know that I will probably after like the 100th time, not hit myself there with it, but that's 100 times!

Okay, back to the softbox. Does what it is supposed to do. The mount seems fairly strong so far, even though it's plastic. The softbox itself doesn't have a true bowens mount. The loops for the softbox kind of slip over the bowens part of the flash mount and it holds on like that. It seems to hold well, but time will tell if it will wear out and get looser. Remember how strong I said the wire was?

I got an S-type because I thought I didn't want stress on my hotshoe and this grabs it by the head. The only thing I don't like is it will fit my SB-910 head perfectly as long as I take off the velcro accessory strap I have attached to it 24/7/365. Just 1/8" more clearance and it would fit! That's pretty nit picky, I know.

Another thing is the tilt lever is long, which is great. But when the softbox is mounted, you have to rotate the sofbox in order to turn the lever around enough to tilt it because it has detents. Detents are good and this is another nit pick.

All in all, I like it. It's fairly fast to set up, get's small for travel and is pretty stable. It has an inner diffusion panel and the standard outer panel, but no grid. I like it, but I think next time I'm getting a true umbrella softox with bowens mount at twice the price.

BTW, I don't like the ones where the flash sits inside because you can't tilt them much. There is a mount that has a long neck, but I'll have to look into that more before I get more modifiers. I have enough right now for what I need.

EDIT: Copied below from the YN flash modifier post. Yay! I remembered! This is talking about the bowens mount in this post.

BTW, the YN flash fits and I occasionally use a Minolta 4000AF and Vivitar 285 for flash and I think that the 285 will give me fits on the bowens because of the lip around the end of the flash head and the 4000AF I think is a little bigger. I am usually using the YN flash in the softbox anyways because it fits with the velcro strap on. Haven't tried the other two flashes and I probably should have put this in the the Neewer softbox/adapter post. Oh well, if I remember when I'm done, I'll copy this in there, but I digress.
 Neewer Photo Studio Multifunctional 32x32"/80x80cm Softbox with S-type Speedlite Flash Bracket Mount and Carrying Case

No comments:

Post a Comment